What is the Secular Hub?
What is the Secular Hub?
Since February 2013, the Secular Hub has provided a non-profit community center for the secular community. At its core, the Hub is two things:
1) A physical meeting space for secular (and other) groups in the community.
2) An organization that sponsors activities focused on building community, advancing reason, and giving back through education and altruism.
The Secular Hub Awning
The idea of a “secular community” may seem foreign to some. No single doctrine unites our varied members and partners, yet we share a lot in common. The Secular Hub exists to help explore both those commonalities and our differences… to create an environment in which you can feel welcome and find support… to build, strengthen, and empower our diverse community to accomplish more together than we can alone. The Hub is just the tool. You are the wielder.
Welcome to the Secular Hub!
Where are you located?
What is the Secular Hub's mailing address?
Our mailing address is:
P.O. Box 2519
Denver, CO 80201
Is there parking?
Yes there is lots of parking around the Hub. There’s free parking both on the street and in a lot behind the building on the other side of the alley. The only place you can’t park is directly adjacent to the building on the east side.
What does the Secular Hub do that other atheist, humanist, or free thinking organizations don't do?
The Secular Hub provides:
- a meeting place;
- provides a place where the other groups can have meetings;
- brings in nationally known speakers and entertainers;
- a place for fundraisers;
- organizes events – educational or entertaining, or both;
What's the difference between Humanist, Atheist, Secularist, and Freethinker?
Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.
Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition.
Secularism is the principle of the separation of government institutions and persons mandated to represent the state from religious institutions and religious dignitaries.
Rationalism – a belief or theory that opinions and actions should be based on reason and knowledge rather than on religious belief or emotional response.
You can be all or any combination of the above. So, if you were a “rational atheist, secularist” you would be a person who declined to believe in god, or gods based on reason and evidence and would hold the belief that religion should be kept out of government. All are welcome at Secular Hub.
Do you have membership requirements?
Yes, but very few and only to ensure a safe and amiable experience for everyone.
The Secular Hub Membership Criteria:
(required of every member while at the Hub or taking part in any Secular Hub sanctioned event)
- Commits to honor the separation of Church and State in American governance
- Commits to not promote belief in deities or other supernatural entities
- Commits to conduct themselves with a sense of decorum and goodwill, and agrees to not intentionally create ill feelings or animosity among fellow members
- The Secular Hub reserves the right to revoke membership at any time if the actions of a member or group detracts from the happiness and general well-being of other members.